At six o'clock in the evening we received a call from a local practice requesting help following another episode of canine greediness. The chicken satay, with skewer embedded, when merely waved within the vicinity of Bonnie dog was simply gone in flash, swallowed whole! Tricky! An attempt to encourage vomiting could lead to the stomach being perforated and leaving the skewer in place could likewise lead to perforation of the gut somewhere lower down the intestines. A perforated gastrointestinal tract will often lead to peritonitis which under these circumstances has a 50% mortality rate, even with surgery.
We swung straight into action and Bonnie came down for a general anaesthetic and gastroscopy. The video attached shows the retrieval of the satay stick [its not always easy!] and the photographs show both the "foreign body" after removal and a rather pleased looking post-operative patient. The crisis was averted and Bonnie went home for [another] tea in less than an hour.
No surgery, no hassle and no complications.
Our pet-owner registration form is a quick and simple way to begin. More?
You can order your repeat prescription straight away with our website form. More?
Place your food order here with our web form and collect it later. It's easy. More?
Springwell Veterinary Surgery is Accredited by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. The Practice Standards Scheme is a voluntary initiative - not all practices are part of it yet. As a client of the Springwell Veterinary Surgery, an RCVS accredited practice, you can rest assured of a high quality of care throughout the practice. Click HERE to read how this benefits you.
Full payment is due at the time of consultation, the discharge of your pet or when collecting drugs or diets.
All major credit/debit cards are accepted.